Saturday, October 22, 2005

Why I really love Halloween & why Norain is Awesome.

In the past 48 hours, three interesting things have arrived at my doorstep: A package from my family in Florida, a package from a friend in Singapore, and a nasty fever. I'm not sure who to blame the sickness on, but me getting ill might actually have been a good thing. The logic behind this is simply that I don't really let myself sleep. It's a bad habit, I know, but I really feel I can't get enough done in a day. So even if I draw and paint for an entire day straight....I really don't feel it's enough. Sometimes it's a good problem, sometimes it's obnoxious. So anyway, me getting sick allowed me to get a LOT of sleep completely guilt-free....which was nice for a change. That said, let's get on to the more interesting things that showed up at my door:
The Birthday Box: Yesterday I opened a box from my family that contains about a half-dozen or so birthday presents for me to open in a couple weeks. (For those curious, my birthday is November 9th.) You see, this is the secret and true reason I love Halloween. Halloween is the harbinger of the Holiday season. Halloween, with all its candy and costumes, is quickly followed by my birthday which is followed by Thanksgiving which is followed by "National give gifts in the name of baby Jesus" day followed by New Years. Point is, the day my family mails me material goods to show their love is the day I know the holidays are really upon us. The worst part of getting the gifts now (which are wrapped) is that I really have to use the self-control that I don't have to resist not opening them.
The magic box from Singapore: If you'd asked me a year ago of what I thought of online friends, the answer would have been pretty cynical. I think it has something to do with people being less "accountable" for what they say and just having more freedom to be rude as hell. Of course, over the past year I've met a lot of great people online. I've even gone that extra step and actually met a few of them in real life, which has been without fail pleasant. My one friend in Singapore, Norain, randomly sent me a something: her Wacom drawing tablet. Now, while I do almost everything you see on the site by hand, the whole tablet thing has been something I've always wondered about. I think it has something to do with how everyone else seems to use them to create all sorts of magical things online. I'm extremely flattered that any friend, let alone someone I only know through digital words on my screen, would send me such a gift. So before I get all gooey and emotional, let me jus say: Norain, thank you. You rock. Really.
As penance, here are the first things I created while playing around with the tablet (and yes, I'm aware they're terrible).:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Such a fun toy.
-jared
"who is more tech-stupid than you can imagine"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the same birthday as I do.

I really have no idea how I fell into your site, since I was looking for pictures of a rankin and bass character.

But you're art is magnificente! C'est Choette.
funny as hell as hell.

And yes I agree with you about all the reasons why I heart halloween and my birthday. Crazy shit happened on our birthdays to. but that's a whole different subject.

If you ever want to "chat" my yahoo messenger name is
disembody_the_fragile

Hope to talk to you soon
Rosemary

5:04 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Happy upcoming birthday! Have you managed to resist opening your presents so far?

So, now that you've played with a tablet for a bit, do you like it? Is it going to change the way you do things, or will you keep it as a thing to mess with when you're bored? Either way, that was really cool of her.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Well, I'd never be so bold as to say I can't imagine my methods changing over time but I will say I'm still learning how to get the tablet to do the magic it wants to do.
In all honesty I'll probably do some short project (such as a webcomic-like thing) entirely using the tablet to force me hand to get use to it. Like I said: It's all about experimenting.

Oh and there's not quite an accurate word for what I mean by "short project." If it was a comic book, I'd say I'd do a mini-series. But since this isn't on dead trees...bah. Vocabulary fails me.
-jared

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home