Tuesday, April 25, 2006

We're all robots of flesh and bone

While the whole Illustration Friday doesn't always have the best themes every week, I was pretty excited when I heard everyone was supposed to paint something around the word "Robot." Since I tend to paint robots all the time (my mind just wanders in that direction for some reason), I put a bit of thought into it. Oddly enough something from my childhood came to mind.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When I was in elementary school and was first being taught about human biology, it came to me that we're all just machines. That's not a huge realization since all the examples in kiddie science use machines as examples for everything...but it stuck with me. My arm isn't my arm, it's just this weird crane thing that I have control of. I see with my eyes, but when I look at myself I'm not looking at me, just the machine I'm inside of. Kinda goofy and spooky...and obvious, but to a kid that crap sticks with you. Bodies break down, parts fail...the human machine idea sort of hangs around once you grab onto it for some reason. Hell, I'm not sure what I'm rambling about now, I guess I'm just reflecting back on this weird realization I had when I was 9 that made me wonder, if my body is just a machine running on flesh and chemistry, who am I?
So yeah. That weird little rant explains why I painted a robot made of bone. Because that's sort of what I feel that we all are. Sometimes.
-jared
PS: That weird memory flashback sort of explains why, ten years later, I would waste my first few years of college studying philosophy. Waste is the right word, but that's a story for another time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi honey, don't know if you remeber me but we meet at the thing in london, just dropping by saying hi, emailed don't know if you got it.

Luv and bubbles,
cliodhna [aka ztoical]

7:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

V unique painting!

9:01 PM  
Blogger shannonjyl said...

very expressive..love the brush strokes!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home