Saturday, February 18, 2006

Day 4: Illustration Friday (on Saturday)

Day 4: I'm writing this a little earlier than I have on other days because I'm working really hard. I almost caught up yesterday but my "little nap" turned into a coma and I lost more time than I thought. So yeah, I'm still behind. On the plus side, I'm scanning in everything myself whenever I sit in front of the computer or just whenever I get up. I've still got a LOT to go, but I promise that whatever's scanned in by Sunday night will get posted.
It might also be interesting to know is that I've already killed 2 brushes and 2 sets of watercolor....not to mention the severe damage I've done to my pens. It looks like on Monday I'm going to have to make a short roadrip and restock if I expect to make it until Friday.
Today's Teaser is Hippo Song (which was actually painted yesterday, but I have a reason to put it up now:
Image hosting by Photobucket
Someone requested I paint "a guy with a big mouth and a bird sitting on his tongue." This worked out really well since Illustration Friday's Theme this week is, well, Song. If you'd like to know more about Illustration Friday (I had no idea it was something beyond a routine in Collin's Blog) check it out:
Fun Fact: Someone asked me what the strangest thing I've painted so far has been. There's no contest in this regard. I accepted someone's request that I paint "an octopus eating a shark eating a mermaid eating a deep-sea barracudi scary fish eating a crab." I'll stop luring you with art you can't see and get back to painting/scanning.
Finally, just let me say that I'm really glad that such a fair number of you are as excited about this as I am...to the point of sending me threatening emails if I don't scan/update the webcam more often. It's funny, but I don't like to admit how motivating it is to get feedback/know how many people are digging this. I think it has a lot to do with the webcomic whore thing about pulling stunts for traffic (which I guess that's part of any Art challenge) but hopefully enough of you can see past that pitfall and just ride the joy that is lots and lots of paintings. Everyone says they do these challenges for themselves...but that's never completely true. Part of the reason I'm doing this is to rekindle my drive to paint, something that I've been struggling with ever since Christmas break. But yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that entertaining you random people wasn't part of the pleasure I'm finding in it. So yeah.
You guys rock.
-jared

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo confidence-boosting comment!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

:insert response of appreciation here:
: )

5:26 PM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Your Hippo Song looks and sounds great as does the rest of your blog. Is your Dad a Dentist?

7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

woooow ... sooo cute!! love it.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! haha well i just sent you an email...SOOO all i have to say is GO JARED GO! DEFENCE! CLAP CLAP CLAP!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Adam Holwerda said...

I am hereby in danger of becoming a fanboy. Observe. Ahem.

OMG JARED U ROXXOR.

Or is it ROXXORS. I don't know anymore.

I just had the idea to use your celebrity to make people look at my comic. Are you really that famous?

Fuck it. EVERYONE, LOOK AT MY COMIC.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me thinks you should post your list of paintings you are actually painting so we have an idea of wat's to come considering you STILL haven't posted anything. grrr...it must be like 6 or 7 over there by now... where are the paintings...???

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Kaley Fleming said (about the list).

I wanna see some paintings! Wooo-ooo!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Technical DOOM is where the paintings are, technical DOOM. Oddly enough, that's also where I keep an extra pair of shoes.

Seriously though:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/ArtCrash/
The photobucket solution isn't a good one, but at least you can see some paintings.
-jared

2:07 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Yeah, IF's not a thing of mine, just a thing I do. Do you plan on keeping up with it after this? Great job, by the way.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home