Monday, March 27, 2006

Reading Rainbow....

While a lot of the stuff coming up is distinctively art related (because that's what I get the most feedback concerning and I'd be lying if that didn't help nudge me a little), I figured I'd at least give a peek at some of the new material and possibly even a new section for the already far-too fractured Head Injury Theater (or Head Injury Theatre if you're into that kind of thing). As dumb as it might sound, I'm going to start doing the occassional Book Report. While that might sound pretty boring, most of the books lined up have illustrations that help bring how screwed up the book is into spooky focus. Take this illustration from Frank L. Baum's "The Marvelous Land of Oz":
Image hosting by Photobucket
While I added the caption to highlight exactly why that picture by John R. Neill is a little distubing, that's only the tip of the iceberg. The boy "stuffing the Scarecrow" so happily will, by the end of the book, get a magical sex change. Other things include Frankenstein-like creations who by the finale only wish to be torn apart because they wish they were never born. Now I'm a huge fan of Oz, but I'm a huge fan of a lot of the stuff I make fun of. I mean it innocently enough, but dear God the 2nd Oz book is far too easy to twist into something far darker than it was meant to be. You'll see.
-jared

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

I look forward to it. I was also wondering if you saw the movie "Skinned Deep"? IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0304722/

Warwick Davis plays one of the characters who kills people by throwing plates at them. If you haven't seen it... probably best you don't. It might make you angry.

(Also the Heather comment was from me. I forgot she was logged in.)

12:04 PM  
Blogger Adam Holwerda said...

"Call me bitch, Dorothy."

2:12 PM  
Blogger Lierne said...

I love the OZ books. And Neill's art was a billion times better than Denslow's.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Warx said...

So is there Michael Jackson involved in these books? Because he really shouldn't be if you think about it for a while.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Adam Holwerda said...

Yeah man, we're on. I finally get to do the Surface page I signed up for like a millenia ago. Wahoo.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that was a girl in the pic.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home