Wednesday, June 10, 2009

GenCon 2009: See you There

Photobucket
Yep. I'm going to GenCon this year. This marks my first trip back to the states in about 3 years. Suffice to say, I'm looking forward to the culture shock. You have no idea how ecstatic I'll be once I have a box of American cereal in my hand. No idea at all.

While I'm still working out the details, I just wanted to send an early signal flare up. Mostly because, having mentioned it once already, meant a bunch of folks came out of the woodwork to meet or tell me what I have to do while I'm there. This is my first convention of anything (well, not really but that one Webcomic Convention didn't count) and all the advice has been golden.

What I know already:
If you play the Dungeons & Dragons Miniature game, then some of my paintings will be sitting on the Community Prize table. I'll also be playing this a LOT at GenCon methinks, since it's the game that eventually led into me actually playing D&D and I'm a dork and play it here in Berlin anyway. I'll also be sharing a room with one of the previous year's DDM champions, so if you see me slowly devouring the brains of another and stealing his power/profiency at moving plastic elves, you'll understand.

I'll be doing a movie commentary with the Jerks in the Back Row. They used to have a kick ass site but due to web domain drama, their temporary home is up on Myspace. That doesn't make them any less funny. Since they're based in Indy, they've kindly invited me to sit in their recording booth and make fun of something. Sorority Babes in Slime-Bowl-o-Rama has been mentioned, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something hardcore to make fun of. Like the Dark Crystal (If I ever did my own movie commentary this would be the first...it's a great film but it's got magical cellphone bats, giant crabs busting through walls, muppets stripping each other's clothes off, an extended scene involving drinking a girl's essence, cross-country hippy dinosaurs, and, well...I'll keep my fingers crossed. Taking the Dark Crystal out of context (my comedy formula) is really, really fun.)
Anyway check out the Jerks by clicking HERE. I recommend their House of the Dead and CHUD commentaries in particular.

I'll be playing Drunken D&D with some rather awesome folks who will become more awesome the more we drink. I kind of invited myself by posting on Graham's blog but hey it involves heavy drinking and killing goblins. Should be hilarious and fun. Other folks involved in the game can be found: HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.
If you're ready to dive into hardcore D&D Blogging, check them out. You might know them already.

Finally, I'll be selling paintings. Sort of out of necessity...I can afford this big trip but only just. In other words: I need drinking and dice money. See, I'm honest. More on that in a little while, but suffice to say I'll have a horde of paintings with me and will be taking a bunch of requests/suggestions as to what to bring. It worked really well at the Webcomic Thing I went to so once again I will become the infamous walking pile of Jared's art work. It's less luxurious than it sounds but it works.
More later but holy crap, GenCon!

(I'll also be visiting Upstate New York and Jacksonville, Florida but that's less fun to talk about.)
-Jared
"who is really, really excited"

PS: I'll also be hitting the RPGA circuit while I'm there. Just throwing that out there for better or for worse. Mostly worse, methinks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting. :-) I'll actually be back in the States at the same time (in Colorado though).

Where in upstate NY, incidentally? I grew up there.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

The Binghamton/Johnson City/Etc area is where I'll be. Went to Film School up there and, while it's a terrible place some of the best people I've met live there. So it can't be all bad.

6:41 AM  
Blogger ChattyDM said...

Looking forward to meeting you in person. You'll see, I'm a kind DM

:)

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plan on finishing your Braindead review? :]

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Oh man, if only you were coming to Canada!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home