Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A new article? Blasphemy (and only a Hint)

A new article was thought up today and, well, after almost 6 months of hiatus, I return to posting far too detailed reviews of things that some folks think are pretty funny. While I don't want to ruin the surprise, here's a hint:
Photobucket
Subtle, right? Here's hoping Hasbro doesn't sue.
Hell, every time I update I'm praying someone doesn't sue.

Thanks again for all the support guys and girls. You've been awesome and, well, it's good to be back.
-Jared

EDIT ONE:
A lot of people have written to me asking if I can put my D&D Monsters on T-shirts or something. It's a good idea and, hell, I like swag. I'm holding off on it for a few reasons:
1. I don't know the legal aspect of doing that.
2. Cafe Press sucks and I've yet to find a better printer that does drop shipping. If I didn't live in Berlin I could handle it myself but as is...there's no "good" option at present.
3. I'm actually chatting with some D&D folks about creative projects...and I'm excited about that. This is similar to #1 above, but even if it is legal I don't want a dick move like "because I can" to burn any bridge.

EDIT TWO:
I did a bit more research into my article (while writing) and it turns out the above Hint is very, very wrong. I thought I was being clever but I was being, well, retarded. Fun trivia with the history of action figures with gimmicky features will be up on the site soon and all will be explained!
(You might also notice the "coming soon" bits on the Entertainment page. It's true, but I think they'll be up after I throw out a quickie review of something...special.)

Edit 3: The article is up. Enjoy!
Attacktix: The only game where you stuff balls into Jabba's Mouth.

7 Comments:

Anonymous tbok1992@yahoo.com said...

Huh, interesting. I'd love to see you start doing some toy reviews, preferrably of weird and/or overlooked ones like Gobots, Rock Lords, Toxic Crusaders (Which you should definitely review along with the show, which was an attempt to adapt the not-so-kid-friendly TOxic Avenger into Saturday Morning cartoons), Madballs, Boglins, the stranger "The Real Ghostbusters" figures, the list is endless.

By the way, about an old article of yours, you mentioned in that Fantastic 4 article about how stupid it was that they named the character Black Panther after a hate group. Well, actually, the character was created before the actual group of the same name, and when said group came to prominence, Marvel actually considered changing his name to the Black Leopard for a while, but didn't because said group collapsed from within. Just thought you might want to know.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

The Black Panther thing was a joke, but I stand by what I said. The Black Panther (the comic book character) came out a few months before the Black Panthers were officially founded....but the fact that they came out the same year and the fact that the Black Panthers existed for quite a fair time BEFORE they were "officially" founded...it gets a little fuzzy. Throw in the fact that the Black Panther was already a Black Power Symbol (why did Marvel choose that anyway) and the fact that the character was created in the middle of the Black Power movement...
I'll just say that getting the Fantastic Four to beat up a black guy the same year as the formalization of the Black Panthers is....telling. Somehow. Maybe. It's a complicated matter and it's just funny how the dates line up.

Oh and:
You've named a few of my favorite toys there. I still love reading the Troma book about how their Toxic Avenger franchise got pulled into the mainstream. That was....surreal.
Oh and dear God I need to hunt down some Real Ghostbusters episodes. Replacing Bill Murray with a Gorilla with a Bubblegum Gun? Brilliance.
-Jared

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Ryan Gardiner said...

our saviour has returned!


ps what happened to that chritmas movie you did 5 months ago Did you take it down? anyone help me or link me.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

D'oh! I've fixed it (check the Entertainment section now)..for some reason I forgot to link in to it through the rest of the site. Sorry about that.
-Jared

(http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article103.htm)

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks jare

11:45 PM  
Blogger Hawk said...

Bravo!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Chris A. Field said...

Jared, about the D&D monsters on T-shirts:

When 3rd edition came out, Wizards of the Coast set up the Open Gaming License, which allows 3rd parties to create compatible material with their concepts. I write adventures and supplements for D&D 3rd edition and D20 modern myself.

Others produce stock art or include lots of illustrations of some classic D&D monsters. You puting out a t-shirt or print featuring your artwork of classic D&D monsters would probably be okay under the OGL, and even moreso under the review/parody exemptions already in place under US copyright law.

Do a google search for d20 SRD- you'll find a bunch of sites that pretty clearly spell out what parts of the OGL you can use and what's Wizards of the Coast intellectual property. A good rule of thumb, at least for the monsters is that you can't use Beholders, Displacer Beasts, Githyanki or Githzerai, and a few other critters.

Hope it helps.
CHRIS

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home