Saturday, June 06, 2009

Illustration Friday + Ass Ass Ins

Real quick, another dive into Illustration Friday. This week's theme is "Cravings". I'm working on lots of stuff, but enjoy a quick doodle.
Photobucket

In other news, someone reminded me of something that I've supposed to have reviewed years ago. I'm still a little off-kilter in getting that part of the site back up to speed, but I will share on the blog my favorite part of Amalgam comics:
Remember that time back in the 90's when comic books got kind of insane with the gonzo boobs and girls that'd had their ribs removed so they could have creepy small waists?
Photobucket
I know it's supposed to be "Assassins" but when you've got a comic about super-ninjas who wear nothing but thongs I can only read it as "Ass Ass Ins." And look at the font. They did that crap on purpose.
Photobucket
Funnily enough in the above panel she's not talking to another character but to you, the reader. Which...makes a lot of sense, really.

Photobucket
Yes, the Silver Skier is the Avatar of Death. I really need to read more DC Comics to figure out what character of theirs flies around on magic ski boots. I don't know why skiing equals "teh g@y" when compared to other methods of superheroic flight, but there you have it. I think. Maybe. It hurts my brain.

Oh Amalgam. Why have I neglected you so?
-Jared

Edit: I stand corrected. Say hello to the Black Racer.
Photobucket
His name? Willie Walker.
Willie.
And he represents the Grim Reaper in the DC Universe.
Photobucket
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Yes, I will run from the large black man in skis flying after me. No question there.

Oh man, that's awesome. I have a new superhero to read up on. Thanks guys. And by thanks I mean oh GOD why?

Edit Edit:
Say hello to Black Racer 2009: Also known as Night Rider Edition
Photobucket
So weird. Willie, it's nice to see someone thought you were cool enough to revamp.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rui Sousa said...

NICE ONE! REALLY GREAT JOB!It´s a well done work, and it´s a great interpretation of the subject.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Uh hello? The Black Racer? One of Jack Kirby's New Gods? He was an important character in Final Crisis like 2 months ago?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Oh Chris. In my defense, I haven't bought a comic in years and years. Though now that I hear this guy was made important in a recent comic book....what the hell.

Just look at it this way: To an outsider who's never heard of The New Gods that's one freakishly silly character.

Final Crisis (as opposed to the Infinity Crisis which had no end), here I come!
-Jared

12:53 PM  
Blogger Bookgal said...

Silver Racer? Is this a silver surfer revamp, or just a blatant rip off?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Bunneh said...

To the Librarian: all characters in Amalgam comics are patch works of two different existing characters, one from the DC and one from the Marvel universe. There's quite a few fun images of these monstrosities on wiki. Galactiac, anyone? Sounds more like a product made out of breast milk than a cosmic force...

10:53 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

Still, that's not as terrible as some of them.
What happens when you cross Bizarro with Carnage?
If you answered "Bizarnage" you'd be retarded.
But correct.

5:30 PM  
Blogger thekelvingreen said...

I think, but I'm nowhere near sure, that due to the funky mythology of the DC Universe, the Black Racer, dumb as he is, is essentially the same entity as Neil Gaiman's Death. I think. Maybe.

I love the way that they've tried to update the Racer, and make him all cool and modern and whatnot, when he's a guy who zooms about space and time on skis, and as such is either (a) destined never to be cool, or (b) is infinitely cool in the same way that Adam West Batman is cool; either way, it's an exercise in futility to update the guy. Comics need to be less embarrassed about themselves and just wallow in the joy of it all.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sex in comics? Next thing you know they'll be filled with violence.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home