Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hospital Beds and Censorship: The Week Ends.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Definitely been a rough week. Thanks for your support guys. My grandmother came home from the hospital today...which is definitely a good thing. There were some difficult nights in there, as restlessness and what the nurses told me was "night fever" set in. Apparently it's a common thing for elderly patients to act demented when the sun goes down. Gah. I stayed awake until the sun came up keeping her safe and in the bed...I wrote down and drew a lot of what happened on those scary nights. You'll see it soon.
The good news is that my trip to Yankee country is no longer being delayed and I'll be up amongst the Yorker of New before the week's end.
The other issue that I wanted to "officially" repost in the Blog was this:
If you read the Eyeskream board or Digital Strips, you probably already know about it. Censorship frightens the bejesus out of me. It should frighten you too.
If you're new to art getting people in trouble, this is an example that springs to mind as a good refresher on the subject.
The scary things about this piece is that if you didn't know the name of it, you wouldn't be offended. Seriously. It's almost pretty.
-jared
Edit: If you want another look at troublesome art, google Mark Chamberlain and his homosexual Batman paintings. It's a pretty interesting story, even if religion isn't involved. And, to be fair, Batman and Robin being gay lovers has been a point of contention for DC comics since the 1950's. So don't blame Mark too much for what he does.
And really, you don't have to be a comic book fanatic to need to know where some of this caped-crusader history comes from:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear that your grandmother is doing better.

And be careful in NY, too many bad influences.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Lierne said...

I am also glad to hear that your grandmother is doing better.

I hadn't heard of the censorship thing before though. That is scary. I also find it truly bizarre since that comic, to me, is one of your least offensive. It's just a zombie christ.

Or . . . is it a metaphor for the corrosive effect of religion upon reason?

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home