Sunday, January 29, 2006

Thoroughly Modern Millie

I don't try to hide the fact that I try to watch everything. Being good friends with the owner of a 20-Year old video store means that my insatiable hunger for movies ends up getting fed pretty regularly. I don't even pretend that one day I'll review most of them, but last week one film had something so freaking bizarre in it that it hurt me. It hurts me still. I'm sure none of you have seen it, but that won't stop me from getting this crap off my chest.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Thoroughly Modern Millie is a musical that was made in 1967 and made fun of movies from the 1920's. It's kind of funny unto itself to watch an old-as-dirt film making fun of older-than-dirt films. The movie stars Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore...and one more. Imagine this scene:
The characters are in an old bi-plane enjoying themselves...until suddenly the music shifts and an enemy German plane appears behind them as it to shoot them down. At the last moment the plane flies along side them and an elderly woman with a champagne bottle screams at the top of her lungs:
Image hosting by Photobucket
RASPBERRY!
I can't believe I just watched Carol Channing pop out of a plane and scream something nonsensical. Maybe it meant something back then but for the love of all that is holy, I can't imagine what. It's kind of like a policeman pulling you over, walking up to your window and screaming "Pumpernickel!" at you.
Of course it happens again. Carol Channing makes another surprise entrance with her infamous catchphrase. How, exactly?
Image hosting by Photobucket
RAAAAASPBERRRRRRRY!
Holy God, it's Carol Channing being shot out of a cannon screaming something that still doesn't make any sense.
:deep breath:
Sorry I had to share that. The only other interesting thing of note about this musical/comedy (that is still sort of entertaining if that's your thing I guess) is the film introduced me to a new word for boobs: Fronts. Apparently some time last century it was totally cool for women to call their breasts their Fronts. I can't explain why that makes me laugh, but it does.
Forgive me for sharing this....I needed to tell someone and, well, you seemed the most easily approachable.
-jared

4 Comments:

Blogger Warx said...

I also have something to say:

I was afraid of the Haunted Mansion during a vacation to Florida this spring. You know, the one in Disney.

There, my family is embarassed.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Lierne said...

Maybe "raspberry!" is her attack phrase - like The Tick's "spoon!".

7:25 PM  
Blogger Collin said...

Call me slow (or a tard, if you will), but I FINALLY got around to listening to the MP3s that you posted in December. Hilarious! Especially the "list of holidays". You and Rachel sound like you have a lot of fun.

As a plus, since I was listening to them through iTunes I was able to bind the comics that went with them to the MP3s. Awesome, huh?

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hugs!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home